Our bodies turn food we eat into sugar, called glucose, which gives us energy. To use glucose as energy, our body needs insulin, a hormone that helps glucose get into our cells. If one has diabetes, the body may not make enough insulin or may not use insulin in the right way, or both. That can cause too much glucose to stay in the blood, which can cause health problems over time.
Given Diabetes affects many parts of the body, overtime, it can cause serious health problems like heart issues, kidney disease, eye problems and nerve issues. Some people with Type 2 may also be at a greater risk of cancer and Alzheimer’s disease.
However, if caught on time, it is easy to manage Diabetes at home with proper care. Here are some tips that one can follow:
● Tracking glucose levels: Extremely high glucose levels (called hyperglycaemia) or extremely low glucose levels (called hypoglycaemia) can be risky to the health. If diagnosed, a senior should often check the glucose levels and get the A1C test.
● Making healthy food choices: Food makes or breaks one’s health. The food senior eats during the day, directly affects glucose levels, so it is important to learn what is best to eat, in what quantities, and what time. If a patient is overweight or underweight, he/she should work with a health care team to produce a plan to lose weight.
● Being active: Walking and other forms of daily exercise can help improve glucose levels, especially in older people with Diabetes. Set a goal to be more active most days of the week and create a plan for being physically active that fits into a senior’s life easily and is easy to follow. However, as a caregiver, one needs to ensure that the exercises for seniors are light and not prone to falls.
● Taking medicines: A senior should take medicine as prescribed even when they feel good. It is important to keep the treating physician informed about the side effects, if any. Defining a time of the day for medication will help a senior maintain a schedule and keep a track of it.
● Getting regular health check-ups: With Diabetes, one can face multiple issues, therefore, in case diagnosed, one needs to get tested regularly, not just for glucose levels but also cholesterol, eyes and kidneys.
Antara Care at Home offers home pathology and diagnostic services especially for seniors. One can easily book regular Diabetes and full body tests as Antara offers various advantages like early morning coverage, safety kits, COVID protocols, butterfly needle and vein finder which is quick and painless for seniors. Focused on providing with utmost convenience, Antara’s lab partners offer reliable and advanced testing solutions through their state-of-the-art and technologically advanced NABL-certified labs.
Antara’s Care at Home team offers unmatched senior care services in India. Whether it is nursing, physiotherapy, or diagnostics, Antara’s diligent team of trained experts follow all clinical protocols and ensure seniors receive personalized, high-quality care at their doorstep. Antara offers a comprehensive range of services at the comfort and convenience of home. To explore the full range of services, https://www.antaraseniorcare.com/static/uploads/category/pdf7dab07e6d91c7bef459a20589f0b02ba.pdf <click here> or call <+91 981144 1111>