The importance of exercise and physical activity can never be overstated, more so among the elderly. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, adults aged 65 and older need at least 150 minutes of moderate-intensity activity like brisk walking, or 75 minutes of vigorous-intensity activity such as hiking, jogging, or running, every week. This is also recommended by the American Heart Association. Seniors must also include 2 days of muscle strengthening activities in their weekly routine and focus on exercises that improve their balance.
Aerobic exercises are an integral part of elder care routines as they offer a host of benefits by helping them achieve their much needed activity goals. Low impact aerobic exercises are generally safe and an effective way for senior citizens to stay active. This includes activities like brisk walks, jogs, indoor or outdoor cycling, swimming, and aerobic exercise classes. However, it is important to keep in mind that elders, especially those with pre-existing health conditions, should consult with a certified healthcare professional before beginning any new exercise routine.
Elder care in India: The benefits of aerobic exercises for senior citizens
Having a daily exercise routine and practicing a healthy lifestyle offers numerous benefits and has a positive impact on the mind and body of the individual. These include but are not limited to:
● Better cardiovascular health: Regular aerobic exercise improves blood circulation and overall cardiovascular fitness, and helps strengthen the heart. This reduces the risk of heart diseases, high blood pressure, and stroke. It also helps lower the resting heart rate and boosts heart health.
● Improved lung capacity: These exercises help reduce shortness of breath in seniors and increase their energy levels by enhancing lung function, oxygen intake, and circulation inside the body.
● Healthy weight: It helps in increasing metabolism and burning calories to aid weight loss and weight management. Maintaining a healthy weight is important to reduce the risk of joint issues, diabetes, and other chronic conditions in seniors.
● Better balance and stability: Certain aerobic training exercises help reduce the risk of falls and injuries that are common among senior citizens by improving coordination, balance, and stability.
● Enhanced cognitive functioning: Regular exercise is great for the mental health of older adults as it has been observed to improve cognitive function, memory, and attention span. It also lowers the risk of cognitive decline and age-related neurological conditions like dementia and Alzheimer's disease.
● Mental and emotional wellbeing: Aerobic exercise classes and group activities are a great opportunity for seniors to socialize with like-minded folks and alleviate feelings of loneliness and depression. It helps encourage a sense of community among the elderly.
On the whole, regular aerobic exercises play a crucial role in elder care as it enhances their health and helps them lead an independent life. It improves their physical functioning and mobility by boosting heart health, fitness levels, muscle strength, and joint flexibility. With this, seniors can perform daily activities with ease and raise their overall quality of life.
Homes for elder care in India like Antara’s Care Homes provides specialized assisted living facilities for short- and long-term care, pre and post-operative care.. For those requiring assistance in their daily activities, Antara’s senior-friendly care homes offer personalized care plans and nutritionally assisted meals to help them live a healthy and hassle-free life.
For more information, click here or dial +91 98114 41111.