Moving may be stressful for anybody, but it is especially difficult for an elderly family member who has spent decades in the same location, making memories. It can be difficult to leave a familiar environment to relocate to a new home, such as an assisted living facility.
It's a difficult decision, but it's one that will keep them safe, healthy, and happy. It is also the start of an exciting new journey filled with fresh possibilities and adventures every day.
What Is Assisted Living?
This is the facility for seniors who do not require extensive nursing care but do require assistance with medicines and daily living duties. They are unable to live on their own yet want and desire solitude and some independence. Assisted living facilities have personnel accessible 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and offer individual rooms with some small cooking spaces, however meals are delivered with care if desired. Seniors may stay active and involved by participating in social events and using transportation services.
Things To Keep In Mind While Looking For Assisted Living Facilities For Your Elderly Family Member
● Location: Make certain that the assisted care facility you select is easily accessible to visitors. If an assisted living facility is in a remote community, there may not be much to do there either. Some seniors are quite busy and self-sufficient; nevertheless, without local grocery shops, cinema halls, and restaurants, they may become bored quickly.
● Culture: Moving into an assisted living home is a lot like moving into a dorm and meeting new housemates. Everyone has their own personality, and they may clash at times. Spending a few hours or an entire day at the care facility is the greatest method to acquire a sense of the community culture. Speak with the staff, share a meal with the residents, stroll about the buildings, check out the amenities, and ask the seniors how they enjoy it. You may get a sense of the mood and if your loved ones would fit in by doing so.
● Hygiene: While taking a tour of the facility, make sure that the place is clean and there are not any unpleasant smells. Given the covid situation, it is important to ensure that the new home you’re selecting for your elderly parents or relative is clean and pleasant.
● Amenities Available: While retirement might be enjoyable, it can rapidly become monotonous if there is nothing fascinating to do. A decent assisted living facility will provide plenty of activities for its residents. Examine the activities and amenities on offer. They should participate in a variety of physical, spiritual, and social activities to maintain their mental and physical health.
● Security: We become more prone to injuries as we age. Therefore, it is critical that the facility you select includes security features such as accessible railings and non-slip flooring. Furthermore, the facility should be protected from the outside world. This not only keeps unpleasant folks out, but it also keeps those with dementia or Alzheimer's from mistakenly leaving.
● The Kind of Care Provided: Every senior will have their unique set of limits about what they can and cannot do. While many people may not require round-the-clock care, they may require assistance with specific tasks, such as housework or medical care. Examine whether the facility not only has the necessary equipment, but also adequately trained personnel. You want your loved ones to always enjoy great care, even if they are currently in good health. You may enjoy piece of mind knowing they're in diligent care if something goes wrong.
You now know what to look for while looking for assisted living homes for your parents or other relatives. The next stage is to conduct research, make phone calls, and schedule some excursions. Bring your loved ones if at all feasible; they will be living there. Don't be hesitant to ask questions, and always follow your instincts if something doesn't feel right.
If you're looking for an assisted living home in or around Delhi NCR, start your search now by exploring the amenities offered by Antara. For your convenience, we have various locations with varying levels of care.